• Rivanna Garden Club has participated in Historic Garden Week since its beginning 1928.

    In 1950, Mrs. Charles Marvin suggested that Rivanna open “small gardens tucked away where no passing tourists can see their treasurer” which were named “Friendly Gardens.”

    In 1956, Mrs. Emerson Spies conceived the idea of opening small gardens which were called “Country Gardens.”

    In 1974, Mrs. Davison spearheaded the reorganization of Historic Garden Week, making it a joint venture with the three GCV Clubs, Albemarle, Charlottesville, and Rivanna. She served as the first Chairman of this joint effort in 1974 with Mrs. Strider assisting. Since 1974, each of the three clubs serves as Chairman every third year.